Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I survived OB!

And who would’ve thought I’d miss it after all?

It was our first major 4-week rotation, one that my block mates and I initially approached with dread. We didn’t know if we could keep up with the daily 7am schedule and having to face the strong personalities of some residents (we did get warned by the previous blocks). But stressful as it was, OB-Gyn 250 grew on us. In those four weeks I saw patients one on one and encountered some interesting cases, did internal examinations and pap smears for real, got the hang of doing Leopold’s maneuvers and listening to fetal heart tones, and even did my first successful IV line insertion (with the guidance of an intern that we had to call from another ward). :)

And then there’s the 24-hr duty at the labor room and delivery room. Never mind that my body clock got whacked; I had a lot of firsts during that post too:

◊ I assisted an outlet forceps delivery, where I helped get the baby out (he was slippery and I feared I might drop him!), and delivered the placenta…
◊ I also got to assist a cesarean section delivery. My main role was to retract skin and muscles and suction amniotic fluid from the baby’s mouth, and later on suction blood as the surgeon repaired the incisions…
◊ I inserted a foley catheter into a patient in the recovery room. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be…
◊ One resident let me try a bit of suturing an episiotomy, albeit with somewhat fumbling hands. :) Thank you for the patience ma’am!

After that weekend I never looked at OBAS (the OB Admitting Section) the same way again.
It used to be just a ‘fixture’ in my everyday route to the college, but after experiencing what it was like inside the LR/DR, I know I’ll be reminded of those firsts every time I pass by. :)

Ironically, I still don’t see myself as an Obstetrician / Gynecologist in the future (haha). But there’s just a sense of fulfillment with all these learning experiences, and I didn’t realize I’d miss the department until I went to the hospital yesterday morning for the orientation to Pedia 250.
Tapos na pala ang OB. Next year ulit… di bale nang mas toxic na sa susunod, ganun naman talaga eh. :)

2 comments:

Alfie said...

nakakatuwa mga expeiences mo.. ako, takot pa rin maghawak ng bagong panganak na sanggol, hehe.. feeling ko kasi malalamog ung baby. Pero gusto ko ng mga bata, hehe. Keep it up.. God bless

Anonymous said...

ida! congrats! oh may gosh, this coming sem kami mag-o-OB. ang di ko lang gusto about it is the color of our scrub suits. they're PINK! anyway, God bless sa pedia rotation!