Sunday, March 11, 2007

Learning, The Hard Way part 2 [overdue]

The weight I felt that time has long been dissipated. Hey, it's been four days--I've definitely gone over it. =) But I'm thankful because I learned from the experience...

--> Some residents are not as "maalaga" when it comes to offering what you can or ought to do, with clear instructions. Expectations are not always verbalized. I guess sometimes I'd have to pester them for specific mechanics in seeing/interviewing patients to make sure I don't overlook anything.
--> All the questions in the psychiatric history are there for a purpose, so there's no reason not to ask any of them. Or else the diagnosis will be affected.
--> Don't jump to conclusions about your patient's diagnosis, especially if you did not get his/her complete history.

Getting your weaknesses exposed can be quite embarrassing and, to some extent, painful.
Yet med school is sprinkled--or showered if you will--with moments like this. That's why it's a training. It is disciplining and character building.

1 comment:

~tint~ said...

reading about your rotations makes me shake in my boots. waaah, 3rd yr na ko nxt yr! (God-willing!) and i'm so not ready for hospital work. kulang na kulang ang hospital exposures namin dito. and 10:1 pa rin ang student-patient ratio namin sa preceptorials. nakakaiyak.