Tuesday, December 25, 2007

season's greetings + a rewind...

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope we are all having a wonderful time with family and friends this season, not forgetting the very Reason why we celebrate this time of year... :)

I've never been happier that finally I get to stay home after months of being practically stuck in Manila. Oh, I've had opportunities to go home but to be able to spend even a day here seemed impossible when I'm caught up in the middle of a rotation. Anyway, here I am, getting my much needed rest. :)

Here's a rehash of the past months in my world--part one, at least. I planned to write and publish just one article reaching up to my IM experiences, but realized I couldn't do it in one sitting. Sorry na rin kung di masyado coherent. ^__^ I'm conceding to my sister's suggestion of uploading one section at a time...


Major Backlog: Bits and Pieces


As you can see, the last time I shared anything about my med life I was having my Neuro elective. Maybe I’ll just skip the tiny details for this part. Suffice it to say that though I began the elective with apprehension, I left the department all smiles. The residents were even asking if they should prepare a spot for me in their call room after two years. To that I said, “We’ll see…” :)

<-- souvenir photo from inside the Neuro residents' call room


After Neuro came Ob-Gyne. I liked it less than I did last year, probably because the excitement of learning skills for the first time has already come and gone. We were not ‘beginners’ anymore; we have already become part of the workforce. We fell into a routine of staying in the wards during pre-duty, hustling and bustling at the admitting section or in the LR/DR during duty, then hitting the sack dead-tired on our post-duty day. Too bad I didn’t get the hang of delivering babies myself. The downside was that there were pre-residents with us—which meant added competition for deliveries and episiorraphies (a.k.a. repair of episiotomies). I should remember to make up for this loss next year. Anyway, I still got my share of OR assists for Caesarian deliveries and THBSO’s. I encountered some interesting patients as well, such as a deaf-mute victim of sexual abuse, and a patient also named Ingrid. :)

Oh well, thankfully the Lord has enabled me to endure the uniquely stressful environment of this department for a month. Witnessing the miracle of life in all those newborns also helped. :) Thank God for fun blockmates and kind interns and residents too. :)

<-- Ito ang pastime ko sa LR/DR--magbuhat ng baby ^__^


The next two weeks were spent with the Department of Anesthesia, and life took a benign turn once again. Benign, because we get to go home early (the residents would usually “shoo” us away once we’re done with procedures, haha), and if we’re not on duty on weekends, we’re free.:) I learned how to administer spinal anesthesia and intubate a patient— though the latter still needs practice. I got familiar with what was taking place on the so-called “other side of the drape” on the operating table—where we periodically check the anesthesia machine and the patient for any changes in his vital signs while the surgery is ongoing. I used to think that Anesthesiology was only about administering analgesic drugs prior to an operation, but I have come to realize that it starts with seeing the patient even before he is brought to the operating room and lasts until his post-operative pain is adequately relieved.








Cesca's Iceberg treat during Anes. L-R: Jill, Bojit,
Ida, Suzi, Cesca, Trine

***
Okay, to be continued. haha. next part to follow--soon, I hope ^__^; ***


No comments: