Saturday, July 07, 2007

Nanay Evelyn

I was at PALCare yesterday, where I met Nanay Evelyn, 59 years old, diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma of her left breast just last month. She just had her first chemo session about three weeks ago, and she went to PALcare to seek for financial assistance for her subsequent sessions. I was asked to interview her before they help her out, so talk with her I did. It was a good conversation in that I did not have a hard time getting to know her. Despite her rather sad countenance, she was still willing to share about herself, her family, and how—in the face of all the hardship, her family has been a source of strength and comfort. But even as she was affirming her resolve to stay strong, her glassy eyes would betray her. I felt a tug at my heart as we talked… Why did I have to forget to bring a tract that day? I wanted to reach out to her with more than just the short ‘generic’ reassurances like “Tatagan niyo lang ‘Nay…” I wanted to talk with her more, try to share the Gospel to her, but time was limited. Sometimes I wish an instance like this wasn’t the only time I would see patients like Nanay Evelyn. But soon, I realized that God will not run out of ways to reach her. I pray that He will lead her to people who will point her to Him and that she will truly surrender her life to Jesus…

I was just reminded yesterday that being a doctor is indeed such a strategic way to share God’s love to needy patients. I pray that He’ll enable me to witness to them better in the future… ●

1 comment:

~tint~ said...

yes, indeed we are in a very strategic position. may we learn how to share Christ in season and out of season. praying for you.